CELEBRATE THE QANTAS CENTENARY AT QANTAS FOUNDERS MUSEUM
In 2020, Australia’s national airline Qantas Airways will turn 100, an amazing achievement for the airline and an important moment in our nation’s history.
There is no better place to celebrate this incredible milestone than at Qantas Founders Museum in Longreach, Queensland and here are nine reasons why:
- Qantas Founders Museum is dedicated to telling the history of Qantas from its early days in outback Queensland in the 1920s to present day. Characters of the early Qantas days, their pioneering spirit and the impact the airline had for all Australians, is brought to life through life size exhibits, historical artefacts and interactive displays including the National Heritage Listed Qantas Hangar. Visitors enjoy informative aircraft tours and wing walks of the Boeing 747 aircraft. Visitors can treat themselves to a coffee or a meal in McGinness’ Restaurant and purchase a souvenir from the Founders Store.
- Celebration of the Qantas Centenary Program of Events – To celebrate the centenary of Qantas in 2020, Qantas Founders Museum has variety of events
planned and they include:
- Local Community Airpark Roof Launch – Saturday 2 May 2020
Our local community is invited to explore the Museum’s new Airpark Roof. For more information about the Airpark Roof click here.
- Red & White Gala – Saturday 20 June 2020
The official opening and celebration of Qantas Founders Museum’s new Airpark Roof and spectacular Light and Sound Show.
- Celebration of the Qantas Centenary Fly In – Friday 14 to Sunday 16 August 2020
This weekend is designed for general aviators and enthusiasts alike to fly to Longreach, celebrate the centenary of Qantas and explore the many wonders of our outback town.
- October Centenary Gala Weekend – Friday 2 to Sunday 4 October 2020
A weekend of festivities, community activities and special events including an exclusive 1920s gala dinner on Friday 2nd October.
- Qantas Centenary Birthday Week – Monday 16 November to Sunday 22 November 2020
A week of activities to celebrate the Qantas centenary.
Celebrating the Centenary of Qantas Exhibition Series- January to December 2020
- Harry Rogers – Inspiring us to travel with Qantas
3 February – 30 April 2020
- Icons of Australian Skies by Mark Wilson
5 May – 2 August 2020
- Our Qantas, Our People
5 August – 31 December 2020
Tickets for the Celebration of the Qantas Centenary events will be available from early 2020. For information about upcoming events go to our events page and the Celebration of the Qantas Centenary Program of Events.
- Spectacular Light and Sound Show – In 2020, Qantas Founders Museum guests will be able to enjoy the incredible Light and Sound Show Night Experience. Using the fuselages of the Museum’s Boeing 747, Boeing 707 and Super Constellation to project onto, a state-of-the-art light and sound show experience will tell the history of Qantas in a new and memorable way. Monitor our website to see updates about the project and when the show will be available to the public.
- Super Constellation Display – After five years of restoration, Qantas Founders Museum’s Super Constellation display will be open to the public later in 2020. The interior display of this aircraft explains the history and importance of Qantas Constellations. The aircraft display will be included as part of the Museum guided aircraft tours.
- 1922 National Heritage Listed Qantas Hangar – If you really want to get a sense of what it was like for Qantas, its staff and passengers in the early days of the company, then this is the place. Filled with displays, artefacts and replica aircraft, visitors step back in time to the 1920s when they enter this building. The Museum offers a daily guided tour of this building, where the tour guide explain the significance and importance of this building in the history of Qantas and Australian Aviation.
- Guided Aircraft Tours– In 2020, Qantas Founders Museum will offer a variety of guided tours of the Museum’s Boeing 747, Boeing 707, DC-3 and Super
Constellation. On these tours, visitors will learn about the history and importance of these aircraft as well as seeing parts of the aircraft you do not normally see as a passenger. All tours are conducted within the Airpark Enclosure which will now have a newly constructed Airpark Roof to protect the visitors and aircraft from the sun and weather. Tours in 2020 include:
- Airpark Tour – This is a guided tour of the Boeing 747, Boeing 707, Super Constellation and DC-3. Guests will learn about the history of the aircraft, see the interior of the Boeing 707 and 747 where they will be shown instruments such as the Flight Recorded System (Black Box). Guests will also experience the luxury interior of the Boeing 707 and the new display of the Super Constellation. This tour is available four times a day!
- 747 Wing Walk – This tour with a maximum of six people, gives visitors access to parts of the aircraft not seen on the aircraft tour, including the Boeing 747 cockpit, cargo hold and walking out on the Wing of the aircraft. This tour also includes the opportunity to enjoy the view from the 9m viewing platform. What an experience! This tour is available four times a day and is only available to guests 12 years or older.
- Platinum Package – This is our premium experience of all the Museum has to offer! The Package starts with a guided tour of the Boeing 747, 707, DC-3 and Super Constellation including a Wing Walk on the Boeing 747 and 707, access to the private rooms of the Boeing 707 and entry to the Boeing 747 cockpit and cargo hold. The tour finishes with an opportunity to enjoy the view from the 9m viewing platform. Total tour time is four hours. After the tour you can explore the Museum, enjoy a meal in our McGinness’ Restaurant and collect your complimentary photo montage from the tour. Museum entry also entitles you to a two day pass.
Monitor our website for updates on new tours and availability.
- Free Giveaways – Throughout the Qantas Centenary year, Qantas Founders Museum will be giving away monthly specials and gifts to visitors such as books, DVDs, restaurant vouchers, aircraft tours and more to celebrate Qantas and its special year.
- Exclusive Centenary Merchandise – The Museum’s Founders Store is home to exclusive Museum Qantas Centenary Merchandise including homewares, clothing and souvenirs. Check out some of the products through our online store here.
- Children’s Activities – While the Qantas Founders Museum has a variety of exhibits and activities to keep our younger aviators entertained, the Museum will host a number of children’s events and activities throughout the year. Check out our events page for for information.
To stay up to date with Museum news and events, sign up to our newsletter.
The Celebration of the Qantas Centenary Program of Events is funded under the Year of Outback Tourism Events Program.
We would also like to thank and acknowledge the Major Sponsor of the Celebration of the Qantas Centenary Program of Events, Qudos Bank.